Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Effort - Without it we cannot say we tried.

Hello dear reader!

Yet another day for a find chit-chat. Today I have been working on a couple of things including compiling a complete series of Torah readings committed to audio files from back in the late 70's, compliments of the following people: http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/ptmp3prq.htm
               and     http://kodesh.snunit.k12.il/i/tr/t0101.htm

I always fine the resources on Mechon Mamre.org to be surprisingly rich, and precious. Their efforts in bringing HaTorot to the Jewish World so very important, and I thank them for their very hard work. The audio files are quite a treat, and it really helps to have someone reading out loud while I am reading along. With the new contacts taht I have, I find it difficult to see the nikud/vowels of my student style Chumash with Rashis, and as a result my eyes get very tired very quickly. This guy helps me a lot. He does not chant, but instead simply reads clearly each word with such clarity that I find following along, or merely listening to be a breeze. He uses Sephardic Style reading, but what is very nice is he clearly has the native Israeli accent, and thus I get all of those fantastic gutturals that I love oh so very much. It's nice to hear those "silent letters" actually get pronounced, it adds a much more natural flow and flavor to the readings.

I wanted to talk ever so slightly about effort a bit. I think it is important as Jews (or as people if you're not Jewish, and reading this) to take the steps to strive for self improvement. Not just that,. but also taking the time and effort no matter how small you think it may be or how limited based upon your current abilities and dispositions to work on creating some level of understanding.

Nothing pains me more than meeting a fellow Jew who has gone off the path, or has rejected any kind of path. I have a friend whom I have known compliments of an old internet text based game who is Israeli, and an Atheist. I try not to preach although L-rd knows I want to. It is my spirit, and has always been part of me to want to share Torah, and reach out to all not just my Jewish people.

I feel that if I meet a Jewish Atheist, then it simply means he/she never knew Torah. Sure, they probably heard bits here and there having basic highlighter knowledge of random points large and small. Basic knowledge of the stories, but ultimately lacking knowledge in the Prophets, and Writings. The general populace knows the first Five Books - The Torah, but very few have a working knowledge of the Prophets and Writings that really explain the times we are in now, have the expounded answers concerning how we should conduct ourselves and countless amounts of other information contained within. I feel honestly that if a Jew were to study his/her TaNaKh (Torah - Nevi'im - Ketuvim) then I think the concept of Atheism could not enter the mine of one learned in our texts. And if they go on further to study our Oral Torah, then even greater understanding can be achieved. I think King David had it right when he said, "The fool hath said in his heart: 'There is no G-d;" . I certainly don't mean that I consider one who rejects the idea of a creator as foolish per se, but certainly lacking in the knowledge needed to make a proper informed decision. And I think that it is exactly what King David is trying to say as well, that if you're learned in the Holy Texts given to our 3 million ancestors you would have every bit of empirical knowledge to know what they say is true because all you need do is ask your parent, grand parent, and so on.

We have never had a single break in our history where knowledge was lost. "We" all saw the same thing. "We" all experienced the same thing. "We all survived the same thing. "We" all share in the same experience of divine revelation. This is the very foundation of Judaism. We are told through the generations without argument nor break that all things were shown to so that that we may know HaShem (Exodus 10: 1-2)

To say that G-d has us operate on faith alone is just not so. My Christians despite the evidences I provide for them to show that they are practicing falsehood (through ignorance), they always respond that they have to rely on their faith that their texts are true, and correct. It is always quoted in terms of the importance of having faith alone Romans 4:22 " And because of Abraham's faith, G-d counted him as righteous." as well as Romans 4:2,"What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed, and it was credited to him as righteous.". However, we simply know that is not the full truth concerning Abraham by simply examining Genesis 15:6
Genesis 15:6 with Rashi
As we examine the texts we know that it was not purely that Abraham had faith, but as a Prophet who spoke with, even argued with G-d often, and having met G-d's Angels, he had knowledge. Knowledge is truly power. If your Grandmother, and Grandfather, and THEIR Grandparents, and their Grandparents Grandparents going all the way back to Har Sinai, sharing the same accounts traveling all through history untainted, then we can know that what they say it is true. We base our belief in knowledge, not lack thereof. 

Returning to my main point of effort, we should really be taking the time to learn, and better ourselves. Reach out to our fellow Jew, and human. Teach them of the one G-d of Israel, and their place in His Kingdom. Teach them the 7 Laws of Noah. And to our fellow Jew, if we find that they have left their Torah behind then reintroduce that person to his people as it is the case that Torah and the Jewish people have a precious umbilical connection. Help them re-establish that connection. Learn with them. Teach them. Love them through our Torah. If we do not reach out and at least show some effort in this, then it will be counted to us. Do the right thing but not for your sake, but for theirs.

I make a conscious effort to study Torah everyday. Be it books on hand, or various audio files. When I am on the train going to work, having a work break, or on the train coming home from work, I have my Tanakh loaded on my iPhone. I also have the works of Tanya (free app in the iTunes store). I work on finding newer studies on Jewish history, Torah, and Hebrew. Always striving to better myself, and improve and build upon what knowledge base I have. Reinforcing my foundation. It is important that we all, especially as Jews, take such steps no matter how large or small they may be in such efforts.

The Gemara speaks highly of Gentiles (non-Jews) in their practices, even if they are practicing falsehood they do so with sincerity. When you walk down the street it can be almost safe to assume that when you see a pair or group of non-jews walking around at that point or sometime within that day, they were talking about Jesus of Nazareth, or some such thing. You will find more people with a New Testament and/or a New King James walking around than you will a Jew. I'm not saying become a bible thumper, but at least try and dedicate some part of yourself during the small times between work to practice truth with sincerity. You owe it to yourself. I wanted to share a quote that I pulled from another Torah website that happened to have it just so you can see what I mean.

[The Kotzker said an amazing quip: "They server Sheker but they serve it with sincerity as if it were Emes. We serve the Emes, but unfortunately we often serve as if it was Sheker" - without proper sincerity.] - See Torah.org for further reading

I hope you take what we have talked about today with heart, and start taking those precious steps. Remember, no effort is too small in the eyes of HaShem, and righteousness is never too far off.


                 Be well,




No comments:

Post a Comment